In 1889, the Minneapolis Park Board finally took control of Minnehaha Falls. After years and years of legal fighting over this land (but with more lawsuits to come) the Park Board ultimately prevailed.
This undated photo from some time in the 1890s shows a place to sit built into the edge of the park board platform. That seating seems not to have lasted into the 20th century (see images in older posts, below).
Stone construction is hard, heavy work. Probably this was rebuilt because of the basic instability of the site.